Originally founded by [mad theory], the Heterodynes established Mechanicsburg as their home and went on to terrorize the surrounding countryside for generations. They created the imposing Castle Heterodyne and the fierce Jägermonsters. It is certain that the Heterodyne family has existed for many hundreds of years and that most of them exemplified the worst of the mad boy stereotype. Their town and castle is liberally decorated with a skeletal motif, sometimes literally so.
Then the Heterodyne Boys, Bill and Barry came along. Raised primarily by their kind and upright motherSB, they renounced the ways of their ancestors and took to doing Good. They managed to stop a lot of the fighting in Europa before they disappeared during the war with The Other.
With Bill and Barry gone, the House of Heterodyne was considered extinct. Unknown to the world at large, however, was Agatha Clay, raised as a normal child but secretly the daughter of Bill Heterodyne and Lucrezia Mongfish, making her the heir to the Heterodyne legacy.
Agatha's existence isn't so secret anymore, and there's a lot of chaos that has followed in her wake.
Known members of House HeterodyneEdit
Of course we know (from dialogue) about Agatha, Bill, Barry, Lucrezia, and Agatha's late brother Klaus Barry Heterodyne, not to mention the late and not terribly lamented Faustus Heterodyne and Knife and the Ht'rok-din far back at the beginning of the House. However, we've had some glimpses of the approximately of Heterodynes by way of the background when Carson von Mekkhan Agatha and her entourage into the Heterodyne family crypt. Some of the others interred there, or mentioned in other episodes:
In no particular (i.e., alphabetical unless chronological) order:
- Ht'rok Din (founder)
- Knife (son of previous)
- Alexandros Heterodyne (he really liked )
- The Black Heterodyne ( ) (1596-1655)
- Bludtharst Heterodyne (brother of Euphrosynia and son of Clemethious, )
- Bob Heterodyne
- Caligula Heterodyne
- Clemethious Heterodyne ( Apparently succeeded by Gradok the Dour.
- Dagon Heterodyne
- De Goot Heterodyne ( a cathedral, presumably the Red Cathedral on a bet with the Prince of Sturmhalten. Probably "the Good Heterodyne" without the Jäger accent — in which case he may be Gradok the Dour.)
- Egregious Heterodyne (Widened the Dyne. Dunked the Dyne elf. Destroyed the first castle.)
- Euphrosynia Heterodyne (sister of Bludtharst, arranged bride of the Storm King )
- Faustus Heterodyne (Learned to from the Dyne; responsible for the current Castle Heterodyne and its charming personality. Time period uncertain, but presumably associated with , either 1298 when the current structure was built or 1677 when there was a "major change".)
- Ghengis Heterodyne (aka Ht'rok Din founder)
- Gradok the Dour, aka the "Good Heterodyne". . See "De Goot Heterodyne" above.
- Safe to say he was a screw up, or at least a nut.
- Iago Heterodyne ( the Red Playroom)
- Igneous Heterodyne ( after drinking the waters of The Dyne)
- Iscarriot Heterodyne great-great grandpa of Bill and Barry.
- Lazarus Heterodyne (His name is in . It is only shown partially and obscured by dialog, but confirmed by people who have seen the art without dialog.)
- Mordred Heterodyne
- Nifferti(?) Heterodyne
- Occam Heterodyne creator of ( )
- Ominox Heterodyne (Agatha's who used to goad enemies into attacking and then shout "Surprise!")
- Oxalof Heterodyne
- The Red Heterodyne
- Robur Heterodyne-- Discovered a way to stop the flow of time, thereby discovering creatures powerful enough to make even him blink.
- Saturnus Heterodyne, Agatha's , built a train called The Beast.
- Satyricus Heterodyne (the )
- Skull-Queen of Skral (consort of Dagon Heterodyne)
- Slantax Heterodyne
- Telemacous Heterodyne (an innocent)
- Teodora Heterodyne née Vodenicharova, Aghatha's grandmother, who saw to it that Agatha's father and uncle were not reared inside Castle Heterodyne, thus creating the pretenaturally heroic Heterodyne Boys. Teodora found it necessary to poison her husband to preserve the lives of her two sons; Saturnus Heterodyne had decided to kill them and start over once he realized that they were nothing like the rest of the Heterodyne family. (See footnote number 84 on page 396 of Agatha H. and the Voice of the Castle.
- Tympanus Heterodyne ( )
- Venthraxus Heterodyne (See Venthraxus Heterodyne's personal kitchen)
- Vicuna Heterodyne
- Vipsania Heterodyne (Who apparently had a )
- Vlad "the Blasphemous" Heterodyne
- Zagnut Heterodyne ( )
- Zød Heterodyne
With some of these the spelling is in doubt, but you get the idea. There are also reasons to believe there may be an Throne of Faustus Heterodyne or inside the Black Heterodyne´s vault (see above). This is in line with recent revelations of the history of the Waters of Dyne, which legend says might be capable of rendering a person immortal.down there somewhere, most likely either beyond the
Possibly Relevant Outside InformationEdit
Many of the Heterodynes share names with infamous fictional villains, such as Iago, Mordred, and Zod, or notorious historical personalities, including Vlad, Caligula, and on the less notorious end, the Counts of Anjou: Fulk I "The Red", his son Fulk II "The Good", and his grandson, Fulk III "The Black". However, some of their names seem to be just for fun.